How ’bout Some Pictures?

Cap’n Jack Here…

Hey, I just got the bright idea to upload a bunch of photos.

We are in Santa Rosalía, a small mining town located about half way up the Baja California peninsula.  We arrived after a few days at Isla San Marcos, about nine miles away where we were treated to a wonderful nature show.  Early one morning I began to hear what sounded like popping , really more like flopping sounds, near the boat and from a distance, sounds which also echoed off the rocky shore.  I went outside and was amazed at the sight of Bat Rays, by the hundreds jumping out of the water and then landing with a belly flop.  They just kept going on and on and some even did a forward flip, landing on their back side.  It was one of those Cousteau moments, definitely!  I quickly went and extracted the kids from their morning routing (watching a cartoon video) and when they saw the action Marietta exclaimed, “Papa, this is better than watching a documentary!”  It just so happens that “documentary” was Marietta’s first big word; it is still very cute the way she enunciates it.

Traveling up the Sea of Cortez gets more and more remote as one goes north.  We have not posted much because of lack  of Internet service and we hear this is pretty much the end of the line.  We have not written much either, because when we move so much or so often, the business of keeping the boat up and running, all the charting, weather and navigational preparedness, plus all the exploring and mandatory kid beach excursions, not to mention the day to day chores, before we know it the day is gone, and we, go to bed with the chickens here.  However, I do wake up before sunrise and these are some of the golden moments. The possibility of actually being able jot something down.

Bat Rays Jumping

Bat Rays Jumping

Bat Rays flap their wings furiously as if trying to remain airborne.

Bat Rays flap their wings furiously as if trying to remain airborne.

Megan our editor, is regularly chastising me for being too wordy.  If a picture is truly “worth a thousand words” then this post should top the cake.  Before we lose it, we will use the remaining air time on our internet dongle to upload a bunch of pictures.  All truth be told, the “word” out there is that you folks would rather see pictures than trudge through some of my rantings.  My source? FB of course.  I read those comments y’all send to Nicole.  Pictures and pictures of the kids no less, is by far what the public demands. So, here you go:

IMG_1190

At anchor. In Grand Canyon? No, it’s Timbabiche.

IMG_1184

The Stars of The Show

IMG_1181

Mangroves, the green in this desert.

All Hands on Deck.

Music Hour Onboard

Music Hour On Board

Jack Jack's B-day Puppy Cake Delivery

Jack Jack’s B-day Puppy Cake Delivery

A Day at the Beach

A Day at the Beach

So, Nicole just frowned at me for putting in a few nature/landscape shots.  Quote, “No, no, people want to see pictures of the family.  There are no people in those shots.”  I said, “A mix is good, but lets allow our readers to comment on this one.”  So folks, is it pics with only people or a mix?

Hope you enjoyed this picture essay?

Cap’n Jack signing off and warning you that we will be in remote wilderness areas for the next 6-8 weeks, so no internet.  So, call us on the SSB radio, OK? Or, maybe smoke signals? Over and out.

Advertisements

About Oh, the Places We've Been!

In 2008 I married Jack, the love of my life and the only man that could ever keep up with me. Instead of the nice little French Colonial with a white picket fence, we opted to make our home on the 46-foot catamaran "Let it Be". Since living on a sailboat we've had two kids and sailed thousands of miles along the coast of Central America, the United States, the Bahamas and currently Baja California. Our family of four is always ready for the next adventure and we’re never quite sure where it will take us next. Oh, the places we still have yet to go!
This entry was posted in Captain's Yarn, Sailing, Sea of Cortez and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to How ’bout Some Pictures?

1. Patrick Niles says:

Thx for the update. It’s nice to see all the smiley faces. We sit on the porch looking at the bay and talk about you guys heading up. The fishing has been good Had a grouper dinner last night with amigos. Safe travels. See yas soon Casa de Patrico’s

• Oh, the Places We've Been! says:

Hey, when we get there we will go out and get the fish then all feast together. We got some good agave azul rocket fuel for your burners to go with that. Ha! Keep your eyes on the horizon! See ya soon.

2. ku4ou says:

Love seeing the family pics but also of the landscapes/seascapes! It helps me remember my short sailing days and I appreciate cruising vicariously on your adventures! Fair winds, my friends!

• Oh, the Places We've Been! says:

Hey Donna,
      Good to hear from you. Spent a morning aboard Que Linda with Doug and Linda reminiscing about our days in the NW Caribbean. They said they had been in touch with you. You know what happens to old friends? Well, we all get older;the memories endure and suddenly we are back there just as we were. : ) Thanks for the well wishes…back to you with increase dear friend. J

3. Love the pictures! And the ranting 🙂 Looking forward to more pics. Getting pumped to be there next year!

4. Belinda Linton says:

When I became a ” grandmother”, I use to think reading them stories and having cookies and milk when they came for a visit…ha, ha, ha!!! The only way I enjoy them is through these pictures and what Captain Jack writes…….I accept it with joy for the kind of life they are having and pray for their safety. I better see them before the 2 year mark comes up in November……Life is good! Enjoy the rest of the trip. love you,
    Mom

5. The picture thing comes directly from her father, Jack. Don’t know if anything has changed, but when we were younger, Wayne could never figure out why anybody would take a picture with nobody in it. Didn’t matter if it was the Grand Canyon or Grand Central Station…

• Oh, the Places We've Been! says:

Yep. She said that’s probably where that comes from. Figure that…she idolizes her dad, as she rightly should. Thanks for your comment Unc. J

6. Danny Marquez says:

Love the pictures (all of em). Reading about your family adventures is also very enjoyable. Please continue to keep us all posted on your trip. I really look forward to see what is going on in places I may never be fortunate enough to see.

7. Enjoy the Sea this summer! Still among our favorite cruising summers–explore, explore, explore those islands up north, you’re bound to come across amazing things and experiences. Visit all the communities and talk to everyone you meet–there won’t be many of either (communities and people). Best wishes!

8. Saundi says:

Jack, We all enjoy when you write long letters because they always contain wisdom that we all can use. We love the pictures that you send not matter what they contain! Kenton starts a new job on July 6 and will be traveling a lot! He will travel 80% of the time in the US and 20% out of country and the rest of the time out of our home. It is an amazing gift from God! The pay is outstanding! Benefits are amazing. Exciting. Love you guys!!! Miss you!

9. Ed says:

I enjoy hearing from you whatever you send, but this photo set was great! The kids are really growing, especially Jack! Espero que todos estan bien!

10. Camila Yuma says:

A mix of pics. We need to know where the people are and what they’re surrounded by.When you get to shore I’ll share a video of the bat rays doing their thing, thousands of them, remind me please. Love you all,La Mona

From: “Oh, the Places We’ve Been!” To: sangato@yahoo.com Sent: Monday, May 25, 2015 8:18 AM Subject: [New post] How ’bout Some Pictures? #yiv2556627915 a:hover {color:red;}#yiv2556627915 a {text-decoration:none;color:#0088cc;}#yiv2556627915 a.yiv2556627915primaryactionlink:link, #yiv2556627915 a.yiv2556627915primaryactionlink:visited {background-color:#2585B2;color:#fff;}#yiv2556627915 a.yiv2556627915primaryactionlink:hover, #yiv2556627915 a.yiv2556627915primaryactionlink:active {background-color:#11729E;color:#fff;}#yiv2556627915 WordPress.com | Oh, the Places We’ve Been! posted: “Cap’n Jack Here…Hey, I just got the bright idea to upload a bunch of photos.We are in Santa Rosalía, a small mining town located about half way up the Baja California peninsula.  We arrived after a few days at Isla San Marcos, about nine miles a” | |